Thursday, April 5, 2012

30 Day Blogs Challenge: Day 4/5

Day 4:

Views on religion.

I've been told it is best not to discuss politics or religion.  I think religion is a very personal thing.  I think fundamentalists give their religions a bad name and cause too many wars.  I think church and state should be separate. I think a lot of churches are corrupt and spend their "offering" on materialistic things instead of spreading God's word and helping those in need.

I could go on and on...but onto Day 5:

A time you thought about ending your own life.

Well isn't this a fun topic?  It is no secret that I have battled depression and anxiety for many years.  What is hard to admit is that I have considered this option on many occasions.  My cousin committed suicide a few years ago and it devastated my family. Even though my family was hurt and confused, I understood what it felt like for him to feel hopeless and alone.

When my parents divorced my depression came on full force.  I was angry, hurt and didn't know how to deal.  I lost some long-time friends who couldn't deal with the depressed Michelle and cut me off for good.  This made things worse.  Not only was I working, in school and my family falling apart, I was losing my "friends" too. I took things out on the guy I was dating at the time, and pushed him out of my life abruptly.  He couldn't understand my sadness, and I couldn't explain.  I just wanted to be alone.  My plans to move to Baltimore fell through.  My relationship with my mother fell apart and is destroyed to this day.

I can't blame anyone for not wanting to understand my depression and confusion, but I honestly felt I had no one. I thought about crashing my car.  I thought about taking as many sleeping pills as I could.  Sometimes the only reason I didn't follow through with these plans was the possibility that they would not work and then I would be committed, or injured and permanently handicapped.

I went through the days in a fog.  I am forever grateful to my bff Angela, who let me vent without judgement, and who understood my anxiety and erratic behavior. I had lost touch with some friends and was pushed away by others, but one day Jessica called me (we hadn't talked much for about 2 years due to a "situation" and asked me to meet her at Starbucks.  It was as if no time had passed.  We caught up and in just a few weeks I moved in to her townhouse (where I met another bff, Fox) and Angela moved in shortly after.   Add in Jessica's sister, Heather; Heather's bff Kristin L, Natasha, Liz and "the cousins" Nicole and Kristin H and you have the RHH.

I slowly began to heal.  I met Steven. I fell in love with him and his family. Slowly my days have returned to what is "normal."  Some days are good.  Some days are bad.  Regardless, I now have the most incredible support system in my new family dynamic, my husband, the RHH, and the other friends that have stuck with me during my craziest days.  I can't even list or even truly ever express my gratitude for the people that got me through the thickest fog and continue to support me.

Thanks guys.

I promise I'll have a happier post next time :)

2 comments:

  1. Love you Meesh! And I agree with you on religion. People can be so closed minded. Just because you have a certain view doesn't mean all other views are 100% wrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I talk to people about our friendship, I always tell them that we can go days, weeks, and we've even gone years without talking but it always seems like no time has passed.

    A friend is a friend through the good and the bad. The ones that didn't stick with you through it all don't deserve your awesomeness. I'm sorry you had to go through all that and are still faced with all the stuff going on with your mom. BUT, now you have Steven and he is there for you to lean on and you know you always have us!!

    We all love you and are together no matter what. RHH for life. :D

    ReplyDelete