Saturday, October 27, 2012

Is it Christmas yet?

Christmas has never been my favorite holiday. Yes there were presents, but the dysfunction that was family togetherness drove me insane.

*I'll skip that old record*

But my most dreaded holiday was always Halloween.

Growing up and until recently I tried to fake some enthusiasm for Halloween.  In college I
threw some sweet parties, and they were fun, but seriously other than dressing like a slut and getting drunk what is the point?? As a child you get some free candy, but as sad as it is, you can't just throw a sheet with some eye holes over your kid and let them walk up the block.

Mostly, I hate Halloween because I am a scaredy cat.  There it is.  I hate the commercials for scary movies that interrupt my Jersey Shore marathon.  I'm annoyed that Chucky, Scream and Paranormal Activity are playing back to back on my favorite channels.  I hate haunted cornfields, caves and houses that everyone seems to have a great time going to. I hate scary ass decorations, spider webs, monsters, and creepy corpses.

I don't like to admit it, but until I was probably 10 or 11 I used to roll up a blanket and wrap it around my neck at night because I was terrified of vampires.  I thought the blanket would foil the vampire from biting my neck and wake me up in enough time for little old me to run away. I mean, for real.

Today I helped my friend Jessica celebrate her birthday at a paint your own pottery store downtown and there were little kids trick or treating the local businesses.  I'm not going to lie, there was a 6 year old in a freaking clown mask that made me want to punt the child.  I'm talking John Gacy handcuff me to the pipes and dismember me before pouring the concrete basement floors scary.  REALLY!? Is it REALLY necessary to dress up your small child in a costume like that? Can't they just be Peter Pan or something?

I am SHOCKED that I watch The Walking Dead (only after screaming in protest when Steven tried to make me watch the first season).  My favorite (sort of creepy) movie is Practical Magic for goodness sake.

Thankfully Halloween is almost over. Five more days and I'm in the clear for another 365 days.  Then I get to look forward to all the Christmas festivities (and my first Christmas as a married lady) which has been a much more bearable holiday since I've been able to be a part off Steven's family.  Then I will have to deal with my second most dreaded holiday.

Easter. Well more specifically the Easter Bunny.  Think about it. 

Now a few Halloween throwback pictures:



1 comment:

  1. I hate scary moves but LOVE True Blood and Dexter. Why?!

    ReplyDelete