Friday, December 14, 2012

Newtown, CT

I have not been able to see the news for most of the day, but as I tune in, I'm horrified.

I remember Columbine. I remember 9-11. It may sound naive to say, but the shooting today in Newtown, CT breaks my heart the most. 

I can't believe someone could do this. I'm at a loss for words.  The images I have seen of children holding hands and running through the woods to safety, and those of first responders rushing into the building (many officers in just their normal uniforms instead of waiting to suit up in full squad gear) will haunt my dreams.

This has hit just a little too close to home. In CT as I have many family members up north. As a police officer's wife. And as a young woman, because although I don't have children of my own, there are several children, Brody, Quorra, Noah, George, Ben, Joshua, Isabella, and many others including my baby cousins Lydia and Marlene who I would kill for. Who I would die for. I'm usually strong, but my eyes are tearful.

One scripture that sticks out and comforts me:

"But Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven'." -Matthew 19:14

To the shooter, (and I have not fully understood this saying until today) may God have mercy on your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment