Thursday, August 23, 2012

Good News!

For those of you that know me, know that I've been having a really hard time this past year.  Luckily I have some amazing friends, a supportive husband and family who picked me up every time I was thisclose to giving up.

Last year I began suffering from panic attacks and was diagnosed with anxiety and panic disorder, OCD and depression.  The counseling and medication helped, and just as I was starting to feel like myself, I got fired.

I had worked at Verizon Wireless since July 2010.  Admittedly this was a horrible fit for me, and I always felt anxious and worried.  I was in work mode 24/7 and I would cry every day to and from work.  Instead of letting me explain to management what I needed to be successful (because as far as sales go, I was KILLING it), they moved me to the Staunton store (a 45 minute drive compared to my usual 3 minute commute). 

I begged not to be switched so soon after having returned from my FMLA leave (linked to my anxiety/depression), but obviously no one cared.  I was moved to the Staunton store in May 2012.

It was hard to cope with the changes, but I slowly accepted the store. 

Now EVERYONE I worked with played pranks, cursed, made fun of customers, etc.  One manager would make jokes about women belonging in the kitchen and another would even send pictures of his shoes and pants when he went to the bathroom, just to let us know he was pooping. People would take pictures of funny customers and pass them around. Every year there was a NCAA bracket for money, co-workers would steal each others' phones and update their Facebook to inappropriate status'. I HATE hugging and touching and that was how people picked on me.  Other people would use office supplies to prank each other, lock others out of their computers and so on.

Before I moved to the Staunton store, a co-worker was arrested for drunk in public.  He was known to drink a lot and get into trouble.  My Staunton co-workers asked me about it, and wanted to see his mugshot from the "crime times" which is a local publication that prints mugshots and charges.  My manager asked me to send it to him,  (another co-worker had sent it to me) and I forwarded the picture.

Everyone had a good laugh...until I was fired.  Just me, no one else.  I was devastated.

Everything I had accomplished with my health crashed.  I upped my medicine (but couldn't see a counselor due to expense) and as a result gained wait, lost my will to get up most days and I know the people around me were affected by my constant depression.

I haven't been able to collect unemployment because Verizon says I violated a "code of conduct" which is funny since no one else was punished. Even worse? No one stuck up for me. Not one co-worker.

But this week has brought on some good changes.  Today I got a job offer working in an office with great hours and great pay. They will even pay for grad classes AND I start tomorrow! I started Crossfit, and am working on getting back to the old me. The happy me. The me that doesn't have to use every ounce of energy just to get out of bed.

I can't wait.  And I want to say thank you for every person who continues to support me no matter what life throws at me.  (You know who you are)

Cheers!


3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you.... we are pulling for you ma....#teamRHH loves you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the bomb diggity Meesh! Go rock that job! #RHH for the win

    ReplyDelete